What is ORTHO EVRA®?
ORTHO EVRA® is a contraceptive patch used for the prevention of pregnancy.
ORTHO EVRA® is available by prescription only.
ORTHO EVRA® does not protect against HIV (AIDS) or other sexually transmitted diseases.
Who should not use ORTHO EVRA®?
Do not use ORTHO EVRA® if you smoke cigarettes and are over 35 years old. Smoking increases your risk of serious cardiovascular side effects (heart and blood vessel problems) from hormonal contraceptives, including death from heart attack, blood clots, or stroke. The risk increases with age and the number of cigarettes you smoke.
You should not use ORTHO EVRA® if you are pregnant or think you may be pregnant, or if you have any of the following conditions:
- A history of heart attack or stroke
- Blood clots in the legs (thrombophlebitis), lungs (pulmonary embolism), or eyes
- A history of blood clots in the deep veins of your legs
- An inherited problem that makes your blood clot more than normal
- Chest pain (angina pectoris)
- Known or suspected breast cancer or cancer of the lining of the uterus, cervix, or vagina
- Unexplained vaginal bleeding (until your doctor reaches a diagnosis)
- Hepatitis or yellowing of the whites of your eyes or of the skin (jaundice) during pregnancy or during previous use of hormonal contraceptives
- Liver tumor (benign or cancerous)
- Known or suspected pregnancy
- Severe high blood pressure
- Diabetes with complications of the kidneys, eyes, nerves, or blood vessels
- Headaches with neurological symptoms
- Use of oral contraceptives (birth control pills)
- Disease of heart valves with complications
- Need for a prolonged bed rest following major surgery
- An allergic reaction to any of the components of ORTHO EVRA®